Refer a student

Advice for
International Students

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students

International Student Information

International Student Visa Conditions

As a student enrolled at our Institution, it is imperative to understand the conditions of your student visa to ensure a smooth and positive study experience. Additionally, it is crucial to recognize that our Institution is obligated by law to report certain information to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA), particularly if there are changes to your enrolment status, such as cessation of studies.

In order to maintain a valid student visa, it is essential to possess a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) issued by our Institution during the acceptance process.

Understanding your Visa Conditions

It’s crucial to familiarize yourself with the conditions outlined in your student visa. For a comprehensive overview, please visit the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website. You can also check your visa details and applicable conditions for you and your family members online through VEVO (Visa Entitlement Verification Online).

Work Limitations

Upon commencement of your course, you are allowed to engage in paid employment for up to 48 hours per fortnight during term time. A fortnight is defined as a 14-day period starting on a Monday.

For more detailed information, please refer to the Australian Government’s official website.

Meet Course Requirements

To uphold your student visa status, it is imperative to remain enrolled in your designated course and fulfill the progression criteria set forth by the institution.

In the event that you fall short of meeting the course progression standards, the institution will reach out to you to initiate an intervention strategy aimed at aiding you in restoring your academic trajectory and meeting the requisite benchmarks.

Should these intervention efforts prove insufficient and you continue to struggle to meet the course progression requirements, in accordance with the Academic Progression Policy, the possibility of exclusion from the institution may arise. However, you retain the right to challenge this decision through the established Complaints and Appeals Policy and Complaints and Appeals Procedures. Should you choose to contest the decision and your appeal is unsuccessful, or if you opt not to appeal, the institution will be obligated to report your status to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) for non-compliance with course progress or attendance regulations. Consequently, this may lead to the cancellation of your student visa.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is mandatory for all student visa holders and their dependents throughout their stay in Australia. This comprehensive insurance ensures access to medical and hospital services during your time in the country.

When accepting your offer, you have the option to have your OSHC arranged through your institution with Allianz Global Assistance. Alternatively, you can choose to purchase OSHC from an Australian Government approved provider independently.

Students hailing from select countries such as Norway, Sweden, and Belgium may have specific arrangements under their national schemes. For further details, they are encouraged to reach out to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).

Notification of Contact Details Update

It is imperative to inform the Student Support Team within seven days of the following instances:

  • Your new address and updated contact details subsequent to your arrival in Australia.
  • Any modifications to your address or contact details during your enrollment at the institution.

Ensuring the accuracy of your contact information is crucial, as the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) may need to reach out to you regarding visa-related matters. Failure to provide accurate details could potentially result in visa cancellation without prior notification.

For international students seeking to transfer to our institution or requesting release before completing the initial 6 months of their primary course, it is imperative to refer to the International Student Transfer Request Assessment Policy and the Procedures. Approval for a release request will be granted only under specific and exceptional circumstances.

*The primary course of study denotes the main academic program pursued by an international student, for which a student visa has been issued, even if multiple courses are planned.

Get in Touch
We are here
to help you!

Get an answer on courses, costs, careers as well as facilities, entry requirements or just about anything else relating to studying at IHM.
We are here to help you!

I consent to receiving information about IHM's courses and services by email and phone calls


Search the website